We want to encourage every sponsor to communicate with his/her child through letters and/or small packages. In order for us to provide this opportunity for everyone, we have some guidelines in place.
Each sponsor may send one quart size baggie filled with toys and letters to their child. Any extra bags sent will be sent to Africa and distributed to the many children who do not receive a gift from their sponsor.
Letters and cards may be sent with no shipping cost.
- Size limited to quart-size baggie.
- Write Child ID# and Name on the outside of the baggie.
- Send only 1 baggie per sponsored child.
Please note: Effective January 2, 2012, Horizon will now have to charge $10 per gift to cover shipping costs. The donation can be sent in the same envelope with your child's gift, however, please place it in a separate envelope, not in the baggie that will be sent to your child. If you are sending only a letter to your child, Horizon will continue to ship these at no cost to you.
Send all correspondence to:
Attn: Child Sponsorship Gifts
350 JH Walker Drive
Pendleton, IN 46064-8750
(Note: Horizon International reserves the right to review all correspondence)
You have the opportunity to send correspondence to your child three times each year. In order to have your letters and/or packages included, please have all items in our office by the following dates:
Note: These dates will remain the same each year.
March 1 June 1 October 1
In order to prevent confusion and protect your identity, please do not include your address on correspondence to your child. All correspondence between you and the child will come through the Horizon office. Also, do not include any cash for your child inside your letters/envelopes.
When writing to your child, please be sensitive to the environment and culture in which your sponsored child lives and try not to talk about the material aspects of your life. Instead, tell your child about yourself, your family (include pets) and any interests you have. Include photos of yourself and your family. You might also let your child know that you are praying for him/her and provide encouragement especially in the area of education. Help them to understand the importance of remaining in school.
Remember that you are an important part of your child's support system. The impact that your love and kindness can have on your child is immeasurable. You truly make a difference in your child's life!
Gift Ideas: (see restrictions at bottom)
- Photos of you and your family
- Brightly colored postcards
- Coloring books/crayons
- Stickers, small notepads
- Flashlights (wind up--not battery)
- Small Bibles
- Children's inspiration Christian books
- Diaries/journals, stationery
- Personal safety lights for night visibility
- Personal safety sirens
- Small bags
- Inexpensive jewelry (bracelets, necklaces, watches)
- Small stuffed animals, dolls
- Headbands, hair pins, bandanas
- Toy cars
- Toiletry items (toothbrush/paste, comb, brush, lip balm, lip gloss)
- Paper, pens, pencils, colored pencils (include pencil sharpener)
- Gum, hard candy
- No pocket knives or Swiss army-type knives with blades longer than 2 inches.
- Sponsored kids in WCKA-Kayamandi, Western Cape, SA – do not send gum, candy, toothbrush/toothpaste or stationery.
- Sponsored kids in Zambia – do not send beads, perfume or reptile toys, i.e., snakes,lizards, etc.